Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Insomnia

For all those who have sleepless nights, I have a few tips.  I am not a doctor, just a fellow Insomniac.

Lights:  Back in the day before electricity your brain was sent the message that dark is bed time.  You gradually slowed down with the setting of the sun. 
In your own home: Start dimming light about 3 hours before you go to bed, this includes computer screens.  All of this artificial light makes your brain think it's still day time. 
Bedroom: This includes that bright alarm clock.  I cover mine when I go to bed.  The phone also emits a small red light, I cover this also.  Any artificial light in your bedroom should be covered.  Unless of course you need a bit to see if you get up in the night, then I suggest a very warm night light away from your field of vision while in bed.

Rituals:  Design a nighttime ritual for yourself.  I start dimming lights about 2 to 3 hours before I go to bed.  I drink a cup of chamomile tea as well.  I try to avoid all the multitasking I do most of the day, like surfing Internet while watching t.v and texting.  I start focusing on just one calming television show. 
Your Computer: Studies show that the light emitting from your computer can trick your mind into thinking it's time to be awake.  This is a step I haven't mastered yet.  Still working on it. 
Bedroom:  You should not watch television in your bedroom.  I know sometimes when we are in pain and need to be away from it all on the heating pad in our bedroom this is sometimes a necessity.  I try to avoid watching t.v in bed.  Think of it this way, your bedroom should be just that.  The place you sleep and one other activity I don't need to mention here.  Make your bedroom your sanctuary, paint it a warm color that you love decorate it for your comfort. 
Scent Ritual: Jasmine and Lavender are both calming essential oils.  While getting ready for bed, I spray lavender all around my room.  I also have lavender pillow mist.  When I get into bed I rub lavender lotion on my hands, temples, and neck. 
Noise:  I started using a noise machine years ago.  I cannot sleep in complete silence.  When at home I set my noise machine to "Ocean" waves, this is very relaxing for me.  White noise is helpful to me also.  When traveling I use my I-Pod .  I have a few relaxing albums I play.  Music is a little difficult for me because my mind tends to pay attention to the changes in tempo.  I cannot sleep with a television on. 
Regular Hours: Try to go to bed and get up at the same time every day.  I use the word "try" because we all have fluctiating schedules, but it's a good way to train your body. 

Exercise: Try to get some excersise in during the day.  I know for many of you that is sometims quite limited.  But even just walking around your house and stretching can help.  I really like stretching when I first wake up and before I go to bed.  It seems to warm up my body. 

The thing is, even with all these things that I do I still experience sleepless nights.  I do take Ambien and am amazed that I can be wide awake while on it.  I know of people that take it and are asleep within 10 minutes.  Wow!  Jealous!

I'm hoping this may give some of you a little relief.

May you sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment